THE LIONS CLUB SWAKOPMUND was founded in the year 1959 as the fifth Lions Club in Southern Africa and the second Club in the then South West. We are part of the Association of Lions Club, in short "Lions International", which had been founded in 1917 by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones with the aim to encourage dedicated citizens to engage themselves in service activities for the betterment of their communities under the simple motto "We serve".
Today Lions International is the largest voluntary service organization in the world with more than 1,350,000 members in around 46,000 clubs in 207 countries and territories around the globe. To meet the challenges under the slogan "We serve" is something that unites Lions around the world. It is unconditional and it is not limited to continents or restricted to certain causes. Lions help wherever, whenever and however they can.
As our projects and fundraisers will show you in another sector of this webside, Swakopmund Lions Club is wellknown not only in our community but also beyond our borders. Today we are part of Region E of Lions International District 410 a, stretching from Bredasdorp in the Southern Cape of the Republic of South Africa to North Namibia, with 53 clubs of around 1000 members. REGION E currently comprises 9 Namibian clubs.
At present Swakopmund Lions Club has 25 members. Amongst others our CORE PROJECTS are the LIONS SENIOR CENTER, run by the Swakopmund Lions Welfare Organization WO 13, a registered charitable society acting as a committee of the club, and the SWAKOP SIGHT PROJECT, looking after the eyeside of learners. Following the Lions Motto "We serve" none of the club members is financially compensated for the time expanded in respect of all the projects.